There are four main types of insurance that community organisations most frequently purchase to provide protection to the organisation, their volunteers/members and the community.

Public Liability Insurance - To cover an organisation for its legal liability to third parties for personal injury or property damage caused by an occurrence in connection with the insured organisations business activities.

Personal Accident Insurance/Volunteer Protection Insurance - To cover volunteers for any out-of-pocket expenses following accidental injury, disability or death while carrying out their work on behalf of the organisation. This type of insurance would normally cover loss of income.

Directors’ and Officers’ Liability - To compensate committee members and office bearers for loss, for example, legal costs where they have committed a wrongful act in the running of the organisation.

Professional Indemnity Insurance - To compensate the organisation for loss incurred through a claim made against the organisation for breach of professional duty arising from negligence, errors, omissions, defamation, loss of records or documents, dishonest acts etc by volunteer or paid staff.

Organisations wishing to register to advertise their volunteer positions with Volunteering SA&NT must have Public Liability and Volunteer Protections Insurance.

For more information

T 8221 7177

Darwin: 08 8963 5624
Alice Springs: 08 8952 9630